AUSTIN (KXAN) — An annular solar eclipse will likely be seen throughout skies in Texas on Oct. 14, and Texas State Parks will supply prime viewing alternatives for the distinctive occasion.
Due to the eclipse’s anticipated reputation, entry to state parks on the day of the eclipse will likely be restricted to those that pre-purchased day passes or tenting permits, in keeping with TPWD.
The company mentioned a state park move doesn’t assure entry, and it recommends folks reserve a campsite or day move as quickly as doable.
The annular eclipse will move over the state from Midland/Odessa to Corpus Christi, in keeping with TPWD. Seventeen Texas State Parks will likely be alongside the eclipse’s path.
An eclipse occurs when the solar, moon and earth align in area.
“During an annular eclipse, the moon appears slightly smaller than the sun, covering only a portion of it. This creates the illusion of a ring of fire in the sky,” the discharge mentioned partly.
The moon will start blocking the solar round 10:20 a.m. on Oct. 14, with the ring of fireside coming seen round 11:40 a.m. alongside the Texas-New Mexico border, in keeping with TPWD.
Then, the eclipse will journey southeast throughout the state, the discharge mentioned. The length of totality varies relying on the vantage level, starting from a couple of seconds to 5 minutes, in keeping with TPWD.
“The closer you are to the eclipse’s path, the longer you will be able to enjoy the ring of fire,” TPWD mentioned.
State parks in eclipse path of totality
- Big Spring
- Choke Canyon
- Devils River – Del Norte Unit
- Goose Island
- Government Canyon
- Guadalupe River
- Hill Country
- Kickapoo Cavern
- Lake Corpus Christi
- Lost Maples
- Monahans Sandhills
- Mustang Island
- Old Tunnel
- San Angelo
- South Llano River
How to arrange for the eclipse at a Texas State Park
- Plan to reach early and keep late, as site visitors delays at parks anticipate guests from throughout the state and the nation, the company mentioned.
- You also needs to carry sufficient meals, water and gas in case of delays, the discharge mentioned.
- Park in designated areas solely, and keep off roadways for security. Don’t park off the pavement except directed to by park employees.
- Lastly, the company recommends attending a park program, as many parks supply ranger-led packages earlier than or after an eclipse.